Skip to main content

Cantor Art Gallery

 Record Group
Identifier: RG14-05

Scope and Contents

The Cantor Gallery Records are organized into three series: Donor Records, Administrative Records and Exhibits. The first series, Donor Records, includes information about the founders of the gallery, B. and Iris Cantor, as well as the Cantor Foundation's Rodin collection. This series mostly consists of newsprint dating from 1976 to 1981. The Administrative Records series contains correspondence, news clippings and press releases about the day to day running of Cantor Gallery. The final series, Exhibits, hold materials pertaining exhibits held in the gallery including invitations, flyers and other print materials dating from 1982 to 2023. All of the series are organized chronologically.

Dates

  • 1983-2023

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

No Restrictions

Conditions Governing Use

Materials believed to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited noncommercial, educational and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by United States copyright law and with proper citation. Please note that the College of the Holy Cross may not hold the rights to all items in this collection. Users assume responsibility for identifying all copyright holders and for determining whether permission is needed to make any use of the content. For permission under rights held by the College, please contact archives@holycross.edu.

Historical Note

The Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Art Gallery was established in 1983 to present exhibits of art that enhance the cultural, academic and spiritual life of Holy Cross students, faculty and staff. The inaugural exhibition, Auguste Rodin, 1840 – 1917, opened in October 1983 and consisted of 31 of the artist’s bronze sculptures. Five of the exhibited sculptures were given to Holy Cross by the Cantor Foundation, and are now part of the permanent collection. The gallery presents student, faculty and traveling exhibits as well as those drawn from the permanent collection.

The first director of the Cantor Art Gallery was Ellen Lawrence who served in this role from 1983 to 2000. Robin Reisenfeld was named interim director in 2000. She was succeeded by Roger Hankins in 200l. Hankins was director until his retirement in 2019. The current director, Meredith Fluke, was appointed in 2019.

Extent

4.60 Cubic Feet (11 document boxes, 1 flat box )

Language of Materials

English

Related Materials

Catalogs associated with the gallery's exhibits are held in the Archives Book Collection and in the Dinand Library Collection. They may be found by searching "Cantor Art Gallery" in the library catalog.

Title
Cantor Art Gallery
Status
Completed
Author
Sarah Campbell
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives Repository

Contact:
One College Street
Worcester MA 01610