Records of the College Seal
Scope and Contents
This record group contains materials pertaining to the College Seal including correspondence, newsprint, illsutrations, and images and descriptions from Holy Cross publications. Additionally, it also holds images and information on other Jesuit college seals.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Materials believed to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited noncommercial, educational and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by United States copyright law and with proper citation. Please note that the College of the Holy Cross may not hold the rights to all items in this collection. Users assume responsibility for identifying all copyright holders and for determining whether permission is needed to make any use of the content. For permission under rights held by the College, please contact email@example.com.
The College of the Holy Cross has had three seals over the course of its existence. The College's first seal, used from 1843 to 1865, was designed by Father Sestini and depicts a flaming cross in a clouded sky, with the College's motto, "In Hoc Signo Vinces," insribed in Greek below.
The second seal, designed by Benedict Sestini S.J. in 1865, pictures a number of symbols, including the Cross of Constantine, a railroad train and ships for Worcester as a center of travel and trade, and the Pakachog Hill where Holy Cross is built. Around the images is the name of the College and its location in a Latin inscription: "Collegium Sanctae Crucic, S.J., Virgonii, Mass." This seal was used until 1920.
The third and current seal was adopted in 1925. The seal includes the The IHS, letters from the seal of the Society of Jesus, symbolize the Jesuit presence in the College, while the birds, known as red martlets, were taken from the crest of Bishop Benedict Joseph Fenwick, S.J., the founder of the College. In the center is a book with the College's motto,"In Hoc Signo Vinces," written on its pages. These symbols are again encircled with Latin inscriptions of the College's name and home.
0.23 Cubic Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
- Lydia Cochran
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Revised December 2022
Part of the Archives Repository
One College Street
Worcester MA 01610