Rev. John A. O’Brien, S.J. Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains material relating to John A. O’Brien, S.J., including biographical information, correspondence and newsprint.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Materials believed to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited noncommercial, educational and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by United States copyright law and with proper citation. Please note that the College of the Holy Cross may not hold the rights to all items in this collection. Users assume responsibility for identifying all copyright holders and for determining whether permission is needed to make any use of the content. For permission under rights held by the College, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
John A. O’Brien was born in Chicopee, Massachusetts on May 22, 1897. He attended Cathedral High School and enrolled in the College of the Holy Cross in 1914. He joined the Jesuit order after graduation in 1918. After studying classics and philosophy at Woodston College he came back to Holy Cross to teach English from 1924-1927. He was ordained as a priest in 1930. In 1933 he began teaching humanities and philosophy at Boston College until 1948, when he was asked to serve as president of Holy Cross. O’Brien was responsible for the construction of the O’Neil Hall, Lehy and Hanselman dormitories, and the Air Force ROTC program to the campus. He left Holy Cross to teach philosophy at Fairfield University and Boston College until his death on November 21, 1963.
.92 Cubic Feet (3 document boxes)
Language of Materials
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Revised April 2020
Part of the Archives Repository
One College Street
Worcester MA 01610