Scope and Contents
Records documenting the daily life, work, and expenses of the farm at Holy Cross. The records include two diaries and an account book from the 19th century, as well as accounts and receipts from the mid-20th century.
- November 1869-1901
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Materials believed to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited noncommercial, educational and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by United States copyright law and with proper citation. Please note that the College of the Holy Cross may not hold the rights to all items in this collection. Users assume responsibility for identifying all copyright holders and for determining whether permission is needed to make any use of the content. For permission under rights held by the College, please contact email@example.com.
Since its founding, the farm has been a central component of the landscape and life at Holy Cross. In 1836, Father James Fitton purchased land from the Parch family farm on Packachoag hill, or Mount Saint James, on which to build his boarding school. He continued to operate a farm on the land, using it to feed and fund the school. When the Founder of Holy Cross, Rev. Benedict Joseph Fenwick, purchased the school from Fitton, he continued the farm's operations, and expanded the farm's size and capacity over the course of the 19th century. Beginning at 60 acres, the farm grew to 150 acres by the early 20th century under the supervision of Brother Francis X. Horwedel. The farm was also expanded during World War I under President Joseph Dinand, S.J. to support the countrty's war efforts and need for agricultural resources. However, by 1933, the farm no longer remained a vital or neccessary operation for the College, thus leading to much of the farm and the barn to be converted into new sports fields and a gymnasium.
0.46 Cubic Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
- Lydia Cochran
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives Repository
One College Street
Worcester MA 01610