Rev. James Fitton Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains personal correspondence from Rev. Fitton, ephemera, and biographical material.
- Fitton, James, 1805-1881 (Person)
These papers are open to research without any restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials believed to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited noncommercial, educational and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by United States copyright law and with proper citation. Please note that the College of the Holy Cross may not hold the rights to all items in this collection. Users assume responsibility for identifying all copyright holders and for determining whether permission is needed to make any use of the content. For permission under rights held by the College, please contact email@example.com.
Rev. Fitton was born in 1805 and worked many years as a missionary. He was a pastor for churches both in Hartford, CT and Worcester, MA. He opened a Catholic boarding school in Worcester in 1832 (Mount St. James Seminary), later selling the property to Bishop Fenwick, who would eventually open the College of the Holy Cross in 1843. Fitton was appointed pastor of the Most Holy Redeemer Church in East Boston in 1855, and remained there until his death in 1881.
.23 Cubic Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Revised June 2020
Part of the Archives Repository
One College Street
Worcester MA 01610